The eMpowering Youths Across ASEAN is a partnership programme between Maybank Foundation and ASEAN Foundation that consists of mentoring, regional leadership training, and overseas local community projects. The community projects will be incubated to be scaled up in the coming years as social enterprises across the region to become the foremost initiative in Southeast Asia for catalysing youth participation and impact on their communities. The programme is initiated with the realization that the future of ASEAN is in the hands of youths, and their energy and creativity can be channeled into challenging and meaningful activities to strengthen community bonds, encourage volunteerism and philanthropy, and generate innovative solutions to socio-economic challenges.
The programme aims to make a sustained and positive impact on ASEAN youth empowerment and ASEAN community building efforts. More specifically, this programme has the objectives to:
- To promote volunteerism, social innovation, and awareness of ASEAN
- To create an alternative career path for youths
- To raise the awareness among ASEAN youths on social causes
- To improve social and economic well-being of ASEAN communities through social enterprises
Criteria for Application
This programme is eligible for anyone who fulfil these criteria.
- Age of 19 – 35 years old by applicant’s next birthday (2019)
- Citizens of ASEAN Member States
- Fluency in English, as mentoring, trainings, and general communication during the programme will be fully conducted in English, participants are required to be able to have verbal and written fluency in English.
- Full commitment themselves to one-week regional training from 20 to 25 January 2019 and two weeks overseas volunteering project on from 17 February to 2 March 2019
Each accepted participant will be grouped with 9 other accepted participants from the same country of origin and each group will be paired with an overseas partner Civil Society Organizations (CSOs). Prior to the overseas project, groups will go through an online learning series and regional training in Thailand (January, 2019). Overseas local community project will be located in Indonesia, Malaysia, or Cambodia. Below are the possible focuses which the CSOs might be working on.
- Empowerment: Structural improvement, livelihood, financial literacy, entrepreneurship and skills training
- Arts and Culture: Arts and handicraft project, weaving, theatre and art mentor, teaching music, dance and drama for youth
- Environmental Diversity: Agricultural business development, organic farmer, support farmers in rural villages, and conservation projects.
- Education: Project that boost the elementary school student’s literacy and numeracy, skills training for teachers, work with special needs children, teaching English for youth.
How to apply
To apply for this programme, those who are interested are required to apply online through this link bit.ly/eMpoweringYouthsApplication by 18 November 2018 the latest.
The ASEAN Foundation will review your applications and will contact you should you are accepted. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to submit the following documents:
- Letter of consent from their employers/institution/university and
- Medical statement (participants mostly will be working in rural areas, they should be able to show that they are in a fit condition to complete the project)
- Proof of health and life insurance during the 1-week regional leadership training and capacity building, also during the 2 weeks volunteering project
Accepted participants will receive:
- A fully-funded orientation and capacity building prior departure to the community project.
- Return flight ticket from home country to the volunteer location
- Meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner), and local transport
- A grant to implement the two weeks overseas local community project
The programme organisers will not cover the following:
- Local transport from the participants’ home to the airport
- Any other expenses not directly related to the programme
RELEASE & WAIVER OF LIABILITY
Neither Maybank Foundation nor the ASEAN Foundation will be liable to the participants for any liabilities, claims, actions, damages (whether direct or indirect, incidental, special, consequential and or exemplary) or for any loss of life, bodily injury, medical or hospitalisation costs which may be incurred or arising out of or in any way connected to the participant’s registration or participating in the programme.
For further inquiries please contact ASEAN Foundation by email on firstname.lastname@example.org
* A group of 10 volunteers will manage the grant for community project under the supervision of the ASEAN Foundation and Maybank Foundation.